Analytical Nutrient Lab
Nutrients in freshwater and seawater are important to quantify in order to understand ecosystem health and anthropogenic impacts on water quality. Moss Landing Marine lab's nutrient analysis lab is equipped to process aqueous samples for a number of dissolved nutrients.
Dissolved nutrients, including nitrate, nitrite, orthophosphate, ammonium, and silica, in water samples are analyzed colormetrically using our Lachat Quickchem 8000 Flow Injection Analyzer with an autosampler. The Lachat Autoanalyzer is a 5-channel system where all analytes can be measured in one sample aliquot simultaneously.
FRESHWATER AND SEA WATER SAMPLE EQUIPMENT:
Lachat Quickchem 8000 Flow Injection Analyzer
$22 / sample (up to 5 analytes)
$25 / sample (porewater)
$3 / sample for filtering (if samples arrive unfiltered)
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC)
- Total Organic Nitrogen (TON)
$20 / sample
- A minimum of 15 mL of sample is required!
- Samples will be frozen immediately upon arrival unless arrangements have been made to analyze unfrozen samples. Unfrozen samples must be analyzed within 48 hours and require prior approval.
- A chain of custody form must be filled out completely for all batches of samples. The COC can be downloaded from this page or filled out at MLML during sample drop-off (please make appointment with MLML'S Nutrient Analysis Lab Technician:
Steve Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org
All small sample batches (<10 samples) will be charged an additional fee of $50
Quality Assurance/Quality Control analysis is also conducted on each run. We follow the State of California Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program (SWAMP) Quality Assurance Program Plan to the best of our ability.