Faculty Member - Interim Director
Department: Geological Oceanography
phone: (831) 771-4480
office: 511 MLML Main Lab
Ivano teaches several graduate courses on different topics and methodologies concerning Marine Geology and cross-disciplinary fields in marine sciences. Ivano's teaching phyilosophy and the research conducted in the Geology Lab are multidisciplinary is the sense that students combine to different degrees geology with a variety of other disciplines in marine sciences (e.g. marine ecology, biology).
Ivano's research has also a general interdisciplinary approach:
Sedimentology/paleoceanography of upwelling biogenic sediments in Europe and the Pacific Rim (e.g. Monterey Fmt.), eastern equatorial Pacific and Peru Margin (ODP Leg 201), the sub-Arctic (IODP Expedition 323 in the Bering Sea).
Relationships between geology and microbial activity in deeply buried marine sediments and other extreme environments. Past evidence of microbial activity preserved by authigenic precipitates in sediments (cold seeps).
Geologic/geomorphology of central California rapidly changing costal environments including Elkhorn Slough, beaches and sea cliffs of Monterey Bay. Use of terrestrial laser scanning and 3D data analysis to asses small-scale geomorphologic change.
- Field Geology
- Structural Geology
- Temporal stability and origin of chemoclines in the deep hypersaline anoxic Urania basin
- The tail of the Storegga Slide: Insights from the geochemistry and sedimentology of the Norwegian Basin deposits
- Permeability-porosity relationships of subduction zone sediments
- Evolution of marine sedimentation in the Bering Sea since the Pliocene
- Millennial-scale climate change and intermediate water circulation in the Bering Sea from 90 ka: A high-resolution record from IODP Site U1340
- Milankovitch-scale correlations between deeply buried microbial populations and biogenic ooze lithology
- Early diagenetic quartz formation at a deep iron oxidation front in the Eastern Equatorial Pacific - A modern analogue for banded iron/chert formations?