I am a contract scientist to the NOAA/NMFS Antarctic Marine Living Resources (AMLR) Program, part of the Antarctic Treaty System, that monitors the health of the Antarctic Peninsula marine ecosystem in relation to harvestable resources such as Antarctic kill (Euphausia superba) and fish. I head the "Krill and Zooplankton" component of this multidisciplinary program and am actively involved in the annual January-March field season net sampling activities. Collaboration with colleagues involved with the physical oceanography and primary productivity components is directed towards understanding ecosystem variability on seasonal, annual and longer time scales. I also advise graduate students with ichthyoplankton research projects.
- Marine fisheries
- Loeb, V.J. 1980. Vertical distribution and development of larval fishes in the North Pacific central gyre during summer. Fish. Bull. (U.S.) 77: 777-793.
- Loeb, V.J., P.E. Smith and H.G. Moser. 1983. Ichthyoplankton and zooplankton abundance patterns in the California Current area, 1975. Calif. Coop. Oceanic Fish. Invest. Rept. 24: 109-131.
- Loeb, V.J. and J. A. Nichols. 1984. Vertical distribution and composition of ichthyoplankton and invertebrate zooplankton assemblages in the eastern tropical Pacific. Biologia Pesquera 13: 39-66.
- Loeb, V.J. and O. Rojas. 1988. Interannual variation of ichthyoplankton composition and abundance relations off northern Chile, 1964-83. Fish. Bull. (U.S.) 86: 1-24.
- Loeb, V., V. Siegel, O. Holm-Hansen, R. Hewitt, W. Fraser, W. Trivelpiece and S. Trivelpiece. 1997. Effects of sea-ice extent and krill or salp dominance on the Antarctic food web. Nature 387: 897-900.
- Loeb, V.J., 2007. Environmental Variability and the Antarctic Marine Ecosystem. IN: Vasseur, D.A., McCann, K.S., (Eds.), The Impact of Environmental Variability on Ecological Systems. The Peter Yodzis Fundamental Ecology Series, Volume 2, pp. 197-225. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands
- Loeb, V.J., E.E. Hofmann, J.M. Klinck and O. Holm-Hansen. 2010. Hydrographic control of the marine ecosystem in the South Shetland-Elephant Island and Bransfield Strait region. Deep-Sea Research II 57: 519-542. DOI: 10.1016/j.dsr2.2009.10.004.
- Loeb, V.J., J.A. Santora. 2012. Population dynamics of Salpa thompsoni near the Antarctic Peninsula: growth rates and interannual variations in reproductive activity (1993-2009). Progress in Oceanography, 96: 93-107. DOI: 10.1016/j.pocean.2011.11.001.
- Force, M.P., Santora, J.A., Reiss, C.S., Loeb, V.J. 2015. Seabird species assemblages reflect hydrographic and biogeographic zones within Drake Passage. Polar Biology 38: 381-392.
- Loeb, V.J., Santora, J.A. 2015. Climate variability and spatiotemporal dynamics of five Southern Ocean krill species. Progress in Oceanography. DOI: 10.1016/j.pocean.2015.01.002.