Department: Chemical Oceanography
Research Website: Mercury in the Ocean
Katlin is a chemical oceanographer who studies mercury biogeochemistry in marine environments using chemistry and genomic techniques. She has participated in three U.S. GEOTRACES expeditions in the North Atlantic, eastern tropical South Pacific, and Arctic Oceans, as well as various sampling campaigns in the northwest Atlantic Ocean.
Currently, she is working on a project funded by the National Geographic Society to investigate how microplastic pollution in San Francisco Bay and Lake Erie are impacting the mercury cycle.
Katlin has a strong interest in outreach and scientific communication, she has blogged for the Huffington Post and co-authored a children’s book To the Top of the World: One Scientist’s Expedition to the North Pole.
- Mercury biogeochemistry in marine environments
- Methylation pathways of inorganic mercury in seawater
- Mercury cycling genes in marine environments
- Microplastic pollution as a vector for contaminants
- Temporal variations of methylmercury production and uptake into food webs
- Agather, A.M., Bowman, K.L., Lamborg, C.H., Hammerschmidt, C.R. Distribution of mercury
species in the western Arctic Ocean (U.S. GEOTRACES GN01). In press, Marine
- Mason, R., Swarr, G., Bowman, K., Lamborg, C., Hammerschmidt, C. 2017. The air-sea
exchange of mercury in the low-latitude Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. Deep Sea Research
Part 1. DOI10.1016/j.dsr.2017.01.015.
- Bowman, K.L., Hammerschmidt, C.R., Swarr, G., Lamborg, C.H. 2016. Distribution of mercury
species across a zonal section of the Eastern Tropical South Pacific. Marine Chemistry
- Bowman, K.L., Hammerschmidt, C.R., Lamborg, C.H., Swarr, G. 2015. Mercury in the North
Atlantic Ocean: The U.S. GEOTRACES zonal and meridional sections. Deep Sea
Research II 116, 251–261.
- Buck, C., Hammerschmidt, C., Bowman, K., Gill, G., Landing W. 2015. Flux of total and
methyl mercury to the northern Gulf of Mexico from U.S. estuaries. Environmental
Science and Technology 49, 13992–13999.
- Lamborg, C., Bowman, K., Hammerschmidt, C., Gilmour, C., Munson, K., Selin, N., Tseng, C.-
M. 2014. Mercury in the anthropocene ocean. Oceanography 27, 76–87.
- Lamborg, C.H., Hammerschmidt, C.R., Bowman, K.L., Swarr, G.J., Munson, K.M., Ohnemus,
D.C., Lam, P.J., Rijkenberg, M.J.A., Saito, M.A. 2014. A global ocean inventory of
anthropogenic mercury based on water column measurements. Nature 512, 65–69.
- Hammerschmidt, C.R., Bowman, K.L. 2012. Vertical methylmercury distribution in the
subtropical North Pacific Ocean. Marine Chemistry 132, 77–82.
- Bowman, K.L., Hammerschmidt, C.R. 2011. Extraction of monomethylmercury from seawater
for low-femtomolar detection. Limnology and Oceanography Methods 9, 121–128.