Establishing California Residency

How to Establish California Residency


Financial Independence

Effective Fall 2020 academic term, if the student meets at least one of the following criteria, the student does not have to meet the financial independence requirement:

    • Enrolled in graduate or post-baccalaureate program, regardless of age;
    • Turned 24 years of age by the residence determination date
    • Married or registered domestic partner as of the residence determination date
    • Active duty members serving in the U.S Armed Forces
    • Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
    • Legal dependent other than spouse or registered domestic partner
    • Former ward of the court, foster youth or both parents are deceased
    • Declared by a court to be an emancipated minor
    • Unaccompanied youth who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless

Proof of Residency

  • Physical Presence: You must reside in California for more than one year before applying
  • Intent: You must demonstrate the intent to remain indefinitely in the state and sever all residential ties with the former state or country of residence. Provide documentation to demonstrate that intent was established more than one year in advance.
  • Documentation:
    • Get a California driver’s license or ID card
    • Register your car in California
    • California address is listed on state and federal tax returns
    • Change permanent home address to California
    • Possession of a rental agreement with a California address
    • Register to vote in California
    • Move your bank account to a local bank