About The Drop-In Blog
Have you ever wondered what being a marine scientist is really like? Well, then you’re in the right place! Welcome to The Drop-In, a blog run by the students of Moss Landing Marine Laboratories.
Founded in 2008 by a small group of MLML students looking for a platform to candidly talk about their experiences as grad students, The Drop-In now has over 600 posts written by Moss grad students past and present. Here you will find everything from thesis research updates to whale facts to stories of adventures in the field!
The Drop-In Blog is currently managed by grad student editors Lauren Cooley, Emily Montgomery, and Kali Prescott. If you have questions or comments about the blog, please feel free to send us an email at email@example.com.
Recent Blog Posts
- By Erick Partida, MLML Chemical Oceanography Lab One of the many points of pride that Moss Landing Marine Laboratories holds up is the legacy of our former director Dr. …Read More »
- By Grace Teranishi, MLML Ichthyology Lab ⧪ Salinas, CA (Summer 2020) By now we’ve grown somewhat accustomed to the haze and the smell of smoke, the ash that dusts our …Read More »
- By Kameron Strickland, MLML Ichthyology Lab & CSUMB Image Analysis Lab Our pursuit for statistical power involves repeated trials and non-trivial sample sizes. After hundreds of fish dissections or thousands of …Read More »
- By Kayla Roy, MLML Ichthyology Lab When you think of sea food what do you think of? Do you picture a fish fillet, lobster bisque, or maybe fish and …Read More »
- By Noelle Lewis, MLML Geological Oceanography Lab How and why we study temperature changes in the past 540 million years You may have heard the phrase that looking to …Read More »
- By Lauren Cooley, MLML Vertebrate Ecology Lab At this point in the pandemic, I think we all know that working from home is a real drag, but for many of …Read More »
- By June Shrestha, MLML Ichthyology Lab 2020 was a big year. We saw a global pandemic, protests in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, and wildfires raging across the state. …Read More »
- By Kali Prescott & Lauren Cooley Hello from The Drop-in Blog team! It's been almost a year since the first COVID-19 shutdowns and with the roll out of the COVID-19 …Read More »
- By Lauren Cooley, MLML Vertebrate Ecology Lab While working on the latest Moss Landing Marine Laboratories Annual Report, my friend and fellow MLML student employee Caroline Rodriguez collected a bunch …Read More »
- By Lauren Cooley, MLML Vertebrate Ecology Lab I think it’s safe to say that before the start of this year, no one could have possibly predicted the truly wild twists …Read More »