The Road to El Pardito: A Middle Seat Perspective

Kierstin Thigpen, Ichthyology Lab

Few travelers consider the middle seat to be the best spot on a road trip. We often think of it as cramped and crowded, without even a window or headrest to use for a nap. A ride in the middle seat usually results from losing a coin flip or drawing the shortest straw, and we do our best to keep it fair by ensuring every passenger does at least a bit of time in this undesirable position. However, for four days, I called the middle seat my home as we journeyed from Moss Landing, CA down the Baja Peninsula toward a small island known as El Pardito. Over those four days, I learned the valuable lessons that the middle seat has to offer about centering yourself in the moment and enjoying the ride.

As we headed south toward La Paz, each mile brought something new to see: a new landscape, a new town, a new form of life. While the middle seat may not offer a window to nap against, it provides a central all-around view of the journey through every window. I could look to the side at the layered mountains and spined plants of the Baja deserts. This view gave a fleeting glance of the present as boulders, boojum trees, and the occasional cow or donkey went flying by. For a look at where we had come from, I would turn around and see the colorful buildings and crowded streets of the town we had passed through. This view of the past offered an opportunity to reflect on the new culture and community in which we had immersed ourselves with every interaction in this new place. And as I peered through the windshield at the turquoise water ahead, I caught a glimpse of the adventure to come where the road would turn to ocean and we would trade trucks and vans for pangas in the final stretch to El Pardito.

A stretch of desert on the final miles of the drive.

Not only did the middle seat center me in time and space, but it surrounded me with all my traveling companions. Being in the middle creates a direct line to every other seat in the van, and it gave me the chance to chat, sing, laugh, and build connections with each of my classmates. Time in the classroom may have allowed us to learn about each other’s research interests, but time in the van allowed us to learn about each other. Through music, conservation, games, and endless laughter, a diverse group of people filled over a thousand miles with friendship, family, and unforgettable memories.

A roadside photo opportunity.

The middle seat gets a bad reputation, and in many cases rightfully so. It does not offer the most leg room. Naps do not come easily. And it is not the epitome of comfort. But do not let these shortcomings blind you to the magic that comes with time spent in the middle. On your next road trip consider using the middle seat to center yourself and connect to the people and the world around you.

Family photo in the R/T Boojum. Photo Credit: Jess Franks