Fall Scientific Diving Course (MS 105)
Fall Semester AAUS Scientific Diving Course
- This course is designed to familiarize certified recreational divers with scientific diving techniques, and to qualify participants to dive under the auspices of MLML and other AAUS institutions.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of diving physics, physiology, decompression, NITROX, night diving, emergency and rescue skills, equipment troubleshooting, navigation, and dive planning.
- Become familiar with research diving skills, survey techniques, and common marine organisms. Research techniques include REEF CHECK surveys.
- Increase competency as a coldwater diver under varied conditions.
- Become familiar with small boat diving safety techniques.
- AAUS Scientific Diving and NAUI NITROX, Rescue, and Master Diver certifications upon completion of the course.
The prerequisites for this class include Open Water SCUBA certification, physical examination, and the ability to pass the swim tests. For a list of all prerequisites, please see the becoming an AAUS diver page to make sure you meet the requirements and send the application to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Science major credit for CSUF and SJSU undergraduate students only. Enrollment is limited to 12 students and preference is given to current MLML and CSU graduate students, then undergraduate students, then outside applicants, but we encourage all to apply.
How to register for MLML diving classes