Tuesday, June 4: Introduction to the “Island”

It was 8:30 AM, I step out of the car to see this white rustic building matching the cold foggy weather. You could hear sea lions barking in the background from the marina behind me. {This is going to be my home for the next 10 weeks.}
Walking down the cold dark quiet hallway, I wondered to myself if this was the right place. Sure enough, Dr. Holly Bowers pokes her head out of this rather large but cozy office. I prop my stuff on an open spot on the desk and my tour of the laboratory and island begins!
Holly took me right down the street to visit the marine aquaculture laboratory. Shown below is one of the tanks that starfish and sea urchins thriving in!

Here is a video of the marine aquaculture to get a broader insight into what it looks like!

Today was very eye-opening to see a prolific amount of various species thriving in such an environment so close to me. I was born and raised in the hot and humid Florida, a complete 180 from Monterey California’s environment. In Florida, I only occasionally see a Great Blue Heron or Muscovy ducks in the wild. In just my first day in Monterey, I saw sea lions, otters, an array of bird species, gophers, ground squirrels, and an abundant number of baby bunnies roaming in the wild!

-Cami Wilson